Need Your Course Password?
To access course material on ECR, you'll need your four-digit course-specific password. If you're unsure what it is, contact your instructor.
How to Use Electronic Course Reserves
How to Use Electronic Course Reserves
We recommend using Internet Explorer or Google Chrome for optimum pdf viewing.
To access Electronic Course Reserves, click on "Electronic Course Reserves" from the Library's homepage. You can also access the system directly using this link: http://researchguides.csuohio.edu/er.php
The “Research Guides – E-Reserves by Course” page will appear:
Before you begin searching for items on Electronic Course Reserve you’ll need to know:
- Your instructor's name (at least the last name)
- The course number or name
- The four-digit password provided to you by your professor. Note: this is NEW to the Electronic Course Reserve system beginning Spring semester 2013. If you don't know your password, contact your instructor.
To begin, start typing the course number, course name or instructor’s last name in the box until a list of courses appears. Click on your course from that list:
You’ll land on this page where you’ll need to review the copyright statement and enter your 4-digit course password:
That will take you to this page. Course reserve materials are located in folders by format: Electronic, Book and Multimedia. Within each folder, items are arranged alphabetically by title. Click on a title to access an item directly or direct you to the electronic journal that contains the item:
Clicking on theicon to the right of any item within any folder will open a dialog box that contains citation information as well as a link to the item:
The Electronic reserves folder contains:
- Pdfs of book chapters, articles, course syllabi and class notes that you can read, download or print. To open documents you’ll need the latest version of Adobe Reader. You can download it here for free: http://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=BUIGO. Printing for CSU students is available at no charge from all library computer stations. For more information on printing in the Library, go to: http://library.csuohio.edu/services/printing.html
- Links to articles available through CSU electronic journals and other open source materials. If you’re off-campus accessing CSU electronic journals, you’ll be required to log-in with your CSU id and PIN before connecting to the resource:
The Book reserves folder contains:
- Links books in the Library’s collection that are reserved specifically for your course. Reserve books can be checked out at the User Services Center or Multimedia Services, depending on the location of the item. To check out material you’ll need to provide Library desk with your course number, instructor’s name and the title of the book. Your CSU id is required to check out Reserve materials:
The entry in the Library's on-line catalog indicates location,call number and availability of the book on reserve.
The Multimedia reserves folder contains:
- Links to streaming audio and video files on the Library’s streaming server. Adobe Flash Player 10+ is needed to play multimedia. You can download it here for free: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
To play audio or video files, click on the start arrow.
- Links to digital audio and video available through CSU’s subscription databases. As with CSU electronic journals, if you’re connecting from off-campus you’ll be prompted for your CSU user name and password to be authenticated as a CSU student:
- Links to physical audio and video materials reserved specifically for your course. This includes cds, dvds, audiocassettes and VHS tapes avilable to check-out for a limited period of time at the Multimedia Services desk on the 3rd floor of the Library. To check out these materials, you'll need to provide Library desk staff with the course number, instructor's name and title of the item. Your CSU id is required to check out Reserve material:
The entry in the Library's on-line catalog indicates location,call number and availability of the media on reserve
Since the E-reserves system is integrated with the Library’s Research Guide pages, it’s possible that related subject guides may be linked in your course reserve page as requested by your instructor. These guides, prepared by Librarian subject specialists, provide valuable research information specific to your course subject:
For assistance with ECR, contact:
Joanne Cornelius, Electronic Course Reserves Supervisor
Vern Morrison, Electronic Course Reserves Associate